The most popular and convenient way to get to central São Paulo is to use the Airport Bus Service, which has 5 executive and 2 suburban bus lines:
❯ The direct executive lines are:
• Line 258: Guarulhos Airport – Congonhas Airport
• Line 259: Guarulhos Airport – República Square (which is located in central São Paulo, and has access to Republica metro station)
• Line 472: Guarulhos Airport – Barra Funda Bus Terminal (located in the western part of São Paulo, and with access to Palmeiras-Barra Funda metro station)
• Line 316: Guarulhos Airport – Hotels Circuit (located in the newer part of central São Paulo)
• Line 437: Guarulhos Airport – Tietê Bus Terminal (located in the northern part of São Paulo, with access to Portuguesa-Tietê metro station)
All of these, except for the 258 to Congonhas, connect to the metro, which is the most convenient mode of transportation in São Paulo, due to the (in)famous traffic congestion.
The bus journey from the airport to most central points takes around 40 minutes.
A one-way ticket costs R$45.50.
The buses leave from outside the of arrivals hall. Executive route tickets can be purchased online.
❯ It is, however, both cheaper and faster - particularly during peak congestion hours - to take one of the two suburban lines to Tatuapé Metro Station (the metro station closest to the airport), from which you can get to anywhere in the city by metro (metro tickets cost R$3.20).
The bus trip from the airport to the final stop takes 20-30 minutes, but the complete journey to the city center, including transfer, takes around 1 hour (which is still less time than it would take by taxi in the world famous São Paulo traffic).
The two suburban lines are:
• Line 257: Guarulhos Airport – Tatuapé Metro Station via Ayrton Senna
(operating hours are 5:00 AM–00:10 AM)
• Line 299: Guarulhos Airport – Tatuapé Metro Station via Assis Ribeiro
(operating hours 4:55 AM–10:00 PM)
The suburban buses leave every 20-30 minutes, and tickets cost just R$5.15.
All the executive and suburban buses leave from outside the of arrivals hall. Executive route tickets can be purchased online, and suburban line tickets can be purchased on board from the driver.
São Paulo is a huge city with a dense metro network. Be sure to have a metro map with you.
There are no metros or trains connecting São Paulo–Guarulhos International (GRU) Airport to the city center.
The metro station closest to airport is Tatuapé Metro Station, from which you can get to anywhere in the city by metro (metro tickets cost R$3.20).
You can reach Tatuapé Metro Station by bus (line 257 or 299, the bus journey takes about 20-30 minutes and a ticket is R$5.15).
The most reliable taxi option is an authorized coop called Guarocoop. They have bilingual drivers and an air-conditioned taxi fleet.
A typical taxi trip from GRU Airport to São Paulo center should take around 20 minutes without traffic, but this is very unlikely, as São Paulo is famous for very heavy traffic congestion, particularly during peak hours.
The fare is between R$90-110.
You can book your ride at their reception desks located on the lower floor of the arrivals area, near the exit gates of Terminal 1 and 2.
You can also get in touch with the company 24 hours a day by calling +55 (11) 2440-7070.
Planning to rent a car at São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport?
Check out Rentalcar's website to compare the prices find the best deal!