The Real Auto Ônibus (sometimes also referred to as the Frescao) has 4 different routes from GIG Airport. With these busses you can get to the Central Train Station, Santos Dumont Airport as well as to tourist destinations in the center, such as Ipanema and Copacabana.
The routes are:
Line 2018 is the best option to get to the city center. This line stops at various hotels and travels along the coast to South Zone destinations such as Ipanema and Copacabana.
All buses leave every 20-30 minutes between 5:30 AM and 10:00 PM, and the journey takes about an hour.
Tickets cost R$15 and can be purchased directly form the driver.
The buses depart from the bus stop located on the lower (arrivals) level of both Terminals 1 and 2. To get to the bus stop, exit the terminal, turn right after the taxi lanes and walk to the end of the sidewalk.
• Taking Line 2018 is pretty safe and also quite comfortable, since it drops passengers off at different hotels. There is also air conditioning as well as space for your luggage, and some of the buses have Wi-Fi on board.
• There are also private shuttle services available at GIG Airport. The most reliable ones are Green Path Transfers (you pay for the car, which can take up to 3 people, even if you are just one traveller; the average fare to the center is around R$70) and Shuttle Rio (here you pay just for yourself; the average fare to the center is around R$25).
Galeao Antonio Carlos Jobim Airport is located on an island off of Rio de Janerio and there is no metro/train connection available.
Taking a taxi from GIG Airport to Rio de Janerio is the most common and convenient way of transfer.
You can either take a fixed rate or a regular metered yellow taxi from the airport.
❯ Fixed-rate taxis
As you exit from customs you will be approached by employees of authorized taxi companies. The trip takes around an hour and the cost is around R$99.
The positive part of this fixed-rate taxi option is that you won't get stressed if there's a traffic jam or if the driver takes a longer route, since there's a flat rate; the negative part is that the cost is almost double that of a regular metered taxi.
❯ Regular metered taxis
If you want to pay less (and take a bit of a risk!), you can simply go outside and take a regular metered taxi. But do keep in mind that traffic jams are quite common in Rio de Janerio. A typical trip to central destinations such as Ipanema or Copacabana costs around R$45.
If you don't want to deal with the hassle of taxi companies/drivers or long bus queues, you can prebook a ride via Kiwitaxi, an online booking platform that offers reliable and cheap airport transfers worldwide. The English-speaking driver will wait for you at the airport even if your flight is delayed, holding a sign with your name on it.
• The cost of a taxi trip is the same for one person or up to four people. A common way to travel for less is to find other tourists on your flight and share the taxi cost.
• Keep in mind that there are two tariffs for regular metered taxis:
• The price difference between the two tariffs is around 15%. Do pay attention to the meter, as this is a common way of ripping off tourists.
If you see the number "2" on the meter during daytime rides (except on Sundays, or during holidays or in December), ask the driver to change the meter to "1".
Planning to rent a car at Rio de Janeiro Galeão Antonio Carlos Jobim Airport?
Check out Rentalcar's website to compare the prices find the best deal!