Real Auto Ônibus (sometimes named also as Frescao) has 4 different routes from GIG Airport. You can get to Central Train Station, Santos Dumont Airport or touristic places in the center such as Ipanema and Copacabana.
The routes are:
Line 2018 is the best option to get to city center. This line stops at various hotels and travels along the coast of South Zone like Ipanema and Copacabana.
The buses depart from bus stop located on the lower (arrivals) level of both Terminal 1 and 2. To get to the bus stop, exit the terminal, turn right after the taxi lanes and walk to the end of the sidewalk.
All buses leave every 20-30 minutes between 5:30 AM and 10:00 PM and the journey takes around an hour. The tickets cost R$15 and you can pay directly to driver.
• Taking Line 2018 is pretty safe and comfortable as it drops passengers off at hotels. There are also air conditioning and space for your luggage. Also some of the buses have Wi-Fi on board.
• There are also private shuttle services available at GIG Airport. The most reliable ones are Green Path Transfers (you pay for the car, max 3 person, even if you are just one; average cost to center R$70) and Shuttle Rio (you pay just for yourself; average cost to center R$25).
Galeao Antonio Carlos Jobim Airport is located in an island of Rio de Janerio and there is no metro/train connection available.
Taking a taxi from GIG Airport to Rio de Janerio is the most common and convenient way of transfer.
You can either take a fixed rate or a regular metered yellow taxi from the airport.
❯ Fixed-rate taxis
As you exit from the customs you will be approached by employees of authorized taxi companies. The trip takes around an hour and the cost is around R$99.
The positive part of this fixed-rate taxi option is that you won't get stressed if there is a traffic jam or the driver takes a longer route as the cost is flat; the negative part is that the cost is almost double of a regular metered taxi.
❯ Regular metered taxi
If you want to pay less (and take some risk), you can simply go outside and take a regular metered taxi. Meanwhile, keep in mind that traffic jam is quite common in Rio de Janerio. A typical trip to central Ipanema or Copacabana costs around R$45.
• The cost of a taxi trip is the same for one person or up to four people. A common way to travel for less is to find other tourists on your flight and share the taxi cost.
• Keep in mind that there are two tariffs for regular metered taxis:
• The cost difference between the tariffs is around 15%. Keep attention to the meter, this is a common way of ripping the tourists off.
If you see "2" on meter during day time except Sundays, holidays and December, ask the driver to change the meter to "1".
Planning to rent a car at Rio de Janeiro Galeão Antonio Carlos Jobim Airport?
Check out Rentalcar's website to compare the prices find the best deal!