There are 3 direct bus options available at Gatwick Airport:
❯ The National Express (the UK's largest coach operator) offers coach (bus) services to London and many other destinations, such as Bristol, Oxford, Stansted as well as to Heathrow Airport. The journey to central London, for example to London Victoria Station, takes around 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Tickets start at £5 and prices increase according to availability (unless you get your ticket well in advance, tickets from Gatwick Airport to London Victoria Station usually cost around £8-12 one way).
The National Express is the most convenient shuttle option from Gatwick Airport, and allows you to bring up to two 20 kg bags and one hand luggage item with you.
The shuttle buses depart from both the South and North Terminals, every 45-60 minutes.
Since it's the preferred shuttle option from the airport to central London, it's best to book your ticket online in advance, as they sell out fast.
❯ Oxford Bus offers services exclusively to Oxford. The journey takes about 2 hours. A one-way ticket costs £28. Buses operate 24/7, with departures every hour during the daytime.
❯ You can also take an EasyBus to get to the Earl's Court and West Brompton areas in central London. The journey takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Tickets cost between £8-10.
If you need to go to Heathrow Airport, you can take a direct shuttle with National Express. It's a 1 hour journey, and a one-way ticket costs around £20.
❯ The Gatwick Express, a non-stop train, connects London Gatwick Airport to London Victoria Station, a main transportation hub in central London.
The train journey takes 30 minutes.
At London Victoria Station, the London Underground (Tube) connects you to most places in London.
The Gatwick Express runs from 4:35 AM–1:35 AM, with trains departing every 15 minutes.
A one-way ticket costs £19.90 (£34.90 return) and can be purchased online (online tickets are only £17.80 for a single/£31.10 return).
❯ Another option, though one that far fewer people employ, is to take one of the standard intercity trains:
• Thameslink trains go to London Bridge, St. Pancras International (here connecting with the Eurostar) and Luton Airport.
• Southern trains will take you to London Victoria Station and East Croydon.
These trains run every 30 minutes, from 6:00 AM–1:00 AM.
The train journey to central London destinations (e.g. London Bridge) takes about 40 minutes.
Tickets cost between £12-20, and can be purchased online.
• All the trains depart from the Airport Rail Station, which is located in the South Terminal. If your flight lands in the North Terminal, there's a free inter-terminal shuttle transfer (shuttle trains depart every few minutes around the clock, and the journey takes just two minutes).
• Oyster card payments and contactless payments are accepted on the Gatwick Express, as well as on Thameslink and Southern services (meaning that, provided the remaining balance on your card is sufficient, you don't have to queue for a ticket, but can simply swipe your card on the yellow card reader at the entrance to the train platform and again when exiting the platform at your destination. Your card will then be debited the correct amount. Do keep in mind that getting a return ticket online or at ticketing machines may be cheaper than taking the Gatwick Express both ways with contactless payment options).
• If you're going to Luton Airport, it's best to take a Thameslink train, as it's the only direct service running between the two airports.
Gatwick Airport is located 43 km from central London.
A taxi journey from the airport to central parts of London takes about 60-90 minutes, depending on traffic conditions.
Expect to pay around £80-120.
If you don't want to deal with the hassle of taxi companies or long bus queues, you can prebook a ride via Kiwitaxi, an online booking platform that offers reliable and cheap airport transfers worldwide. The English-speaking driver will wait for you at the airport even if your flight is delayed, holding a sign with your name on it.
You can also pre-book a taxi through the Gatwick Airport taxi. A private taxi, including 'meet & greet' services, costs around £120 (for up to 4 people).
Planning to rent a car at London Gatwick Airport?
Check out Rentalcar's website to compare the prices find the best deal!