Taking the bus is the cheapest way to get to central Hong Kong from Hong Kong International Airport. A typical journey takes around 40-50 minutes.
There are two types of buses that take you from the airport to most parts of Hong Kong:
❯ A Routes (Airbus Services) are direct routes with Wi-Fi service on board. Expect to pay around HK$20-40 to get to the city center.
❯ E Routes (External Bus Services) are a bit slower than A Route buses, as they make more stops. Expect to pay around HK$10-20 to get to the city center.
Services run every 20 minutes throughout the day, with night buses operating at night time.
Hong Kong is a huge city, so do check the different route details to find the one you'll need to reach your destination.
The quickest and easiest way to get from Hong Kong International Airport to central Hong Kong is to take the Hong Kong Airport Express train.
The journey to Hong Kong Central Station or Kowloon Station takes around 20-30 minutes.
A one-way ticket to Hong Kong Central Station costs HK$100 (HK$180 return) and to Kowloon Station HK$90 (HK$160 return).
Trains run every 10 minutes from 05:54 AM–11:28 PM, and every 12 minutes from 11:28 PM–00:48 AM.
• If you take a combination of bus and metro, you can save around HK$70: From the airport, take the S1 bus to Tung Chung MTR Station (14 minutes, HK$3.50), and from there take the metro to the city center.
You'll reach Kowloon Station in about 25 minutes (HK$18) and Hong Kong Central Station in about 30 minutes (HK$24).
• Most hotels also have free shuttle services from Kowloon Station and Hong Kong Central Station, so be sure to check your reservation.
If you're travelling alone, taking a taxi is the most expensive way to reach central Hong Kong from the airport, but if you're a group of three or four people, it's cheaper than taking the Airport Express Train.
Depending on your exact destination, the trip takes around 35 minutes.
A taxi trip to central Hong Kong costs between HK$250-300.
There are three types of taxis at Hong Kong International Airport, divided into operating zones by color:
• Red taxis serve all destinations in Hong Kong, including Disneyland and Lantau Island, except Tung Chung Road and South Lantau. (Please note that if you're going to Kowloon and Hong Kong Island, you can only take these taxis.)
• Green taxis only go to New Territories and some roads in Lantau.
• Blue taxis only go to Lantau Island.
Planning to rent a car at Hong Kong International Airport?
Check out Rentalcar's website to compare the prices find the best deal!