A number of public (BMTA) buses run out of Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport. This is the cheapest way to get to the city center, but keep in mind that the buses are crowded and that most aren't air conditioned.
A typical bus journey to central Bangkok takes over an hour.
Tickets cost around ฿12-40, depending on your destination.
Most of the buses run between 5:00 AM and 10:00 PM, but some also run 24 hours a day.
Below are some of the different bus routes out of BKK Airport and their respective destinations (check route details from the BMTA's website):
From outside of the Arrivals Terminal, level 2, a shuttle service runs 24/7, transporting passengers to the Airport Transport Center, where the BMTA buses depart from. A shuttle ticket costs ฿35.
• There's a free shuttle service between Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Mueang Airport - simply show your flight tickets to the driver to get on the bus.
The shuttle departs from the station outside of 2nd floor, Gate 3. The service operates every 12 minutes during rush hours (8:00 AM - 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM) and every 30 minutes outside those periods.
The journey to DMK Airport takes around an hour.
The Suvarnabhumi Airport City Line (SA City Line) connects BKK Airport to central Bangkok.
The route has 8 stops, connecting with MRT subway/underground at Makkasan Station and BTS sky trains at Phaya Thai Station.
A typical journey to the city center takes around 30 minutes.
Tickets cost ฿15-45 depending on your destination, and can be purchased in the ticket booths at the station.
The service operates from 06:00 AM–00:00 AM, with departures every 15 minutes.
• If you're three or more people, getting a taxi from/to the airport is often just as affordable as taking the train, as well as more convenient, unless your hotel is very close to a train station.
• Airport Transfer Thailand is one of the most reliable companies that offer transportation all over Thailand. You can book your ride online. Your English speaker driver will be waiting for you at the airport with a greeting card.
BKK Airport lies about 25 km from downtown Bangkok, and taking a taxi is the most reliable and convenient way to get from the airport to the city center.
A trip to central areas of Bangkok usually takes around 30 minutes to an hour.
The trip should cost about ฿400 in total (including tolls and airport surcharge).
People driving unauthorized taxis will try to get you to come with them, but simply ignore this and go to the 'Public Taxi' desk outside the first floor of the arrivals building.
At the desk, indicate your destination and you'll receive a car id as well as a receipt with cost of your journey. Do not give this to driver.
Keep in mind that the driver may not request a possible surcharge of ฿75 for tolls as well as the airport surcharge of ฿50 until you arrive at your destination.
• Toll prices and airport surcharge fees aren't indicated anywhere, so the driver may try to ask for double the price. Simply say that you know the price and insist on paying the normal fees, and if they insist (which is highly likely), say that you will go to the police, which should result in the driver immediately calming down and accepting the normal amount.
• Also keep in mind that your driver may want to take you to another hotel or may say that your hotel is fully booked or has burned down, in order to take you somewhere else. Just ignore this and insist on going to the hotel you've booked.
• If you do not want to struggle with taxi drivers, you can book your ride from Airport Transfer Thailand, a reliable transfer company operating in Thailand. You can book your ride online. Your English speaker driver will be waiting for you at the airport with a greeting card.
Planning to rent a car at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport?
Check out Rentalcar's website to compare the prices find the best deal!